Ideal candidates will be highly motivated professionals eager to put their skills to work in a progressive community and department.
The City of Laramie Recreation Center has indoor/outdoor leisure pools with lap lanes, water slides, lazy river, whirlpool hot tub, 8-lane lap pool, steam and sauna rooms, and wading pools. This exempt position will supervise, assign and participate in the work of staff responsible for all aspects of aquatics programs for the City of Laramie.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist Recreation Manager in establishing/executing aquatic program goals and objectives based on overall division plans.
- Develop policies, procedures and guidelines to ensure effective delivery of services. Develop, coordinate, schedule, manage and evaluate all aquatics programs, special events, swim lessons, open swim, water fitness classes, and private rentals.
- Lead the selection of aquatics staff; provide and coordinate staff training; mentor, direct and provide necessary supervision and discipline of approximately 45 part-time staff members.
- Provide training for all aquatics staff, including certification and re-certification for Water Safety Instructors (WSI), lifeguards, water fitness instructors, and volunteers.
- Participate in the preparation and administration of the Recreation Division budget.
- Perform promotional work to encouraging Recreation Center memberships, citizen participation, attendance, and interest in recreational activities; design and create advertising promotional materials; talk with civic, private and other organizations regarding the activities of the Recreation Center.
- Respond to and resolve inquiries and complaints.
- Assume responsibility for a participative record keeping system for statistical data and report generation; prepare various reports on operations and activities.
QUALIFICATIONS (A combination of the following experience and training, or the equivalent of, would be qualifying):
- Four years of aquatics program management, pool maintenance, and administration experience, including two years of supervisory experience.
- A bachelor’s degree with course work in recreation, physical education, athletic programming, business or a related field or equivalent.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, CPR, First Aid, Emergency Oxygen Administration, Water Safety Instructor and Lifeguard instruction certifications through the American Red Cross. As well as Certified Pool Operator certification or Aquatics Facility Operator certification.
- Experience with computer applications, including recreation management software, timekeeping software record-keeping software such as Excel, and social media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram.
Physical requirements include the ability to sit, stand, swim, walk, kneel, crouch, squat, stoop, reach, crawl, twist, climb, balance, lift 50 lbs., occasionally push or pull 100 lbs, and far and near acuity. Work environment includes exposure to noise, outdoors, confining work space, chemicals, dust, mechanical and electrical hazards, exposure to blood-borne pathogens, body fluids and tissue, and diseases, ability to travel to different sites, and ability for evening and weekend work.
To apply for this position please visit www.cityoflaramie.org or contact the Laramie Workforce Center at 3817 Beech Street, Suite 100. Applicants who are offered appointments are required to pass a comprehensive background investigation, drug screening and driver license check.
Welcome to Laramie
The University of Wyoming is located in Laramie, a town of 30,000 in the heart of the Rocky Mountain West. The state of Wyoming continues to invest in its university, helping to make it a leader in academics, research and outreach. The university has state-of-the-art facilities in many areas and the community provides the advantages of a major university.
Located in a high mountain valley near the Colorado border, Laramie offers both outstanding recreational opportunities and close proximity to Colorado’s Front Range, a bustling group of metropolitan cities including Denver, Boulder, and Fort Collins. This beautiful mountain landscape offers outdoor enjoyment in all seasons, with over 300 days of sunshine annually. For more information about the region, please visit http://visitlaramie.org/